Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Vegan Experiment. Part 1 – Flirting

It all began 1 month ago, in a whirlwind of brain activity and an email to a friend (an inspiring foodie you may know). I checked in with my gal pal Stacey and asked “Do you think I’m crazy to go vegan?” That week I had been inspired by an episode of Oprah and a recently released book by an animal-loving vegan celebrity. My curiosity and my impulsive personality exploded and I purchased a couple cookbooks* to “research” the vegan lifestyle.
The announcement of my vegan experiment came as a shock to some. This decision was after only a few days of research and and contemplation. It was an easy decision. I have spent years as a diet-obsessed food lover (this equates to a guilt-ridden food lover). As a recovering low-carb dieter I am now perplexed at how one eats carbs (albeit whole grains) and doesn’t gain weight. But recently I began feeling a disconnect from my body and the food I put in it. I needed a change. This was the change I needed.


*The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone
Not pictured: Vegonomicon. The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz ; Terry Hope Romero

Up Next - Bringing the diet home to meet the family.

No comments: