Monday, September 28, 2009

A Recipe for Fall

Perfect Fall Day
Ingredients
2 brown leather boots
1 pair skinny jeans
1 part wool/ 1 part cotton sweater
1 tablespoon crisp air

Dash of cinnamon


Mix first three ingredients with air. Take a walk, meet a friend, grab a latte and sprinkle dash of cinnamon on top!


Today was the first day of Fall for me. I know, I know, technically it was last Tuesday but I was still donning a cute summer dress and acting frivolous... Today--- well, today was a turning point. I pulled out my boots and sweater and I swear I saw an orange leaf fall.

Ahhh...there is something about this time of the year that is rejuvenating. Though you are adding clothes I can't help but believe that you are shedding the months and are given the chance for a start over. Today, to me the crisp air signifies change...

Tonight, in honor of this change and the air and the boots, I am cozy in my apartment listening to a new mix, testing a new recipe and getting excited for what this season has to offer.

In the pot...

Spicy Squash Soup
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Carrot, peeled and diced
1 Onion, diced
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon curry
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lb. Winter Squash, peeled and diced
1/2 lb. potato, peeled and diced
3 cups of Water
1/4 cup greek yogurt
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and Pepper

Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add carrots and onion, cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add chile powder, cumin, curry and red pepper flakes. Saute 5 minutes. Add squash, potato, yogurt and water. Simmer, covered about 30 minutes. When soft, puree with a emulsion blender. Add Worcestershire and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with greek yogurt and chives. Enjoy!

On the iPod. . .

Fall Mix
Go Home- Amanda Jenssen
Try Not to Breathe (Live)- REM
Why Does it Always Rain on Me- Travis
We Will Become Silhouettes- Postal Service
Sort of- Ingrid Michealson
San Francisco- Brett Dennen
Don't Panic- Coldplay
High and Dry- Radiohead
Save it For Your Prayers- Duffy
Skinny Dipping Girl- Joe Purdy
Girlfriend- Wolfgang Amedeas Phoenix
Running to Stay Still (Live from Paris)- U2
The Story I Heard- Blind Pilot
World Spins Madly On- Weepies

No comments: