Monday, September 21, 2009

Is it SO Wrong to Want it All?

Lately I have been wanting my cake, cheesecake and maybe even a cupcake-- have it fed to me by someone cute and successful---all with no calorie intake. I know, I know, these demands are too high. This mentality gets a gal in trouble. And yes, a gal must give up something... but does she always have to make a choice?

For instance...last night at TJ's I was making a decision between sweet and savory. Do I get the Olive Oil Popcorn or the Soy Ice Cream? Did I want sugar or salty? After minutes of deliberation I did not choose... I got both because really, what is so bad about having a little of each?

Isn't life best when we have a little balance? Days filled with a mix of social and personal time, outfits paired with a pattern and solid, music combined with lyrics and instruments and dinners filled with equal proportions of sweet and savory. We should remember that in life we crave variety and without it we get bored, passive and stop growing.

Speaking of cravings... this morning a friend I have been wanting to see posed the question, "Cheese or Jam?" Mind you, he was referring to my music choices but of course I made it about food (as I always do). It reminded me of my favorite sweet savory treat that is the perfect example of this balanced life I crave. Full of all things comforting--- cheese, bread and fruit, Baked Brie can be served as a dessert or appetizer and is amazing whole or made bite sized.

Baked Brie and Jam
(Taken from the Rachel Ray website)
  • 1 sheet frozen prepared puff pastry, 11 x 17 inches, defrosted
  • 1 wheel brie cheese, about 5-inches round
  • 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • 1 box water crackers

Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice brie in half across the middle.

Step

Spread the puff pastry sheet onto a counter and roll it to an 1/8 of an inch thick. Place half of the brie onto the puff pastry. Spread the jam on top. Sprinkle the almonds on the jam.

Step

Replace the top half of the brie. Wrap dough up and over the brie, starting at the corners.

Step
Turn over so the sealed side is underneath.

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with crackers.

Baked Brie and Jam is proof that you can almost have it all, that you do not have to make a choice and that life is a little less boring with balance. I am still working on that calorie thing... again, sometimes a gal must give up something.

In fear that I would eat it all, I did not make Cheese and Jam for dinner but I did eat a balanced meal served playing a cheesy Ben Lee song and an 8 minute jam by Perpetual Groove and a couple of Coldplay songs in between... cause really, why must you choose?

No comments: