Monday, September 14, 2009

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

I love beets.
I love the color of beets.
I love beets with arugula and goat cheese.
I love how they bleed on your hands or over the cheese in your salad.
With each drop of the red juice I picture nutrients seeping into my body...

On Sunday I attempted for the 2nd time since I moved to roast beets in my oven. The first time I torched them. Since then I am learning to control my gas stove and I had more than a bloody mess. I had delectable, flavorful, blood red, full of juice beets ready for a yummy salad.

Simple Roasted Beet Salad
Ingredients:
Cookie Sheet of Roasted Beets (three big sliced or five small)
Arugula
Goat Cheese
Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup of fresh OJ (squeezed)
Basil
Walnuts
EVOO
Salt, Pepper

Slice beets and sprinkle with sea salt and evoo. Roast at 500 (425 if you have gas oven) for 30 minutes. Set aside. Chop basil. Add to 2 parts olive oil, 1/2 part OJ, 1/2 part Balsamic Vinegar. Whisk in salt and pepper. Add to arugula with crumbled goat cheese and walnuts. Coat with dressing.

Before my salad my Sunday was feeling a little off. Even though the sun was shining, I felt a little run down. There is something about a beet that is comforting, grounding... maybe it is the organic nature of the plant, maybe it is the rustic color or maybe it is the wonderful flavor. Whatever it is, I am thankful for for Mother Earth for providing us with such a colorful, tasty vegetable.

No comments: