Monday, February 22, 2010

The Proof was in the Sanity

Every so often a gal needs a night of relaxation, ranting and red. Red wine, that is.  This week was one of them.

Between 7:00 a.m. Monday and 7 p.m. Tuesday it felt like a week had gone by and I finally reached a point of sanity at Proof, circa 7:01 p.m.  Located in Penn Quarter, this well decorated, well educated and well stocked establishment helped me feel myself again.

Larger than 14th St's Cork but more intimate that Enology, I found Proof to be my goldilocks of wine bars and I promise the sanity component had nothing to do with it. 

Glasses of wine at Proof come in 2 oz tastes, 6 oz, or 8.5 oz for a regular glass. Since we are two ladies that know what we want, G and I ordered a bottle of dry, spicy Rhone and gabbed away. While waiting on a third friend, we snacked on Rosemary Honey nuts that made me nostalgic for my store that I closed a year ago this week and the Nutty Gal mixes we used to sell.  When K came in we ordered more wine and a Mediterranean flat bread that was AMAZING.  I know what you are thinking... everyone does flatbreads but this was a salad that happened to be on top of bread.  Garlic Chickpea puree, Smoked Eggplant, Pickled Radish and Kalamata Olives... it was quite tasty.  We also shared the Olive Oil Roasted Brussel Sprouts that were repeatable.  Food great, check.  Wine great, check.  Emotions much better, check. But overall, it was the atmosphere that will bring me back.  Beautiful decor that was beautifully laid out to create intimate nooks without seeming crowded, this wine bar understands big picture!

No comments: