Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tonight's Specials Are...

Stuffed Salmon & Grilled Asparagus and Melon Salad

... and a little BirdMan Wine!
Who needs a restaurant when you have your house?
What a yummy dinner on my patio. After several hours of yard work, it was a perfect dinner outside. Plus, I got to test out the salad recipe that I will use on the Graduation Luau Menu.

With a mix of cantaloupe and prosciutto, the salad was sweet and savory... add some green (asparagus) and white (Parmesano reggianno) and the dish was beautiful.

I found some amazingly pink wild sockeye salmon at the grocery store and stuffed with goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes and served with a garlic spinach.

No Cupcake Wine at the store so I chose BirdMan that was very earthy with grapefruit undertones... very good but if I were choosing for this dish again I would pick the Cupcake... A girl does love her Cupcake.

At the end of the night I had a surprise visit from my good friend, LB... celebrating her birthday with neighborhood visits. You know if I would have known she was coming I would have had cake. Cheesecake. Oh no... now I want cheesecake. I guess I will have my share at the Luau Party.

Grilled Asparagus and Melon Salad
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 small melon (about 12 ounces), peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
Shaved Parmesean
Directions

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the prosciutto in a
single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes
until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Chop the prosciutto into 1/4-inch
pieces.

Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal
grill. In a medium bowl, toss together the asparagus and 2 teaspoons
olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes each
side until crisp-tender. Cut into 1/2 inch sections on an angle

In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the
melon, asparagus and Parmesan cheese and toss until all ingredients are
combined.Drizzle any remaining vinaigrette over the top. Sprinkle the prosciutto.

*See previous entry for salmon*

No comments: