Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother Knows Best...

When it comes to Lasagna, that is.

The relationship between mother and daughter is tricky. I think "I dooz it" must have been the first words out of my mouth. I know I spent the majority of my childhood and often my adulthood trying to show her that I could do it myself, and often better or atleast I would convince myself of that. This holds true on everything except lasagna making. I will never try to outdo her and if is she would come to my house right now I would bow out gracefully and let her have total control of my kitchen... as she has done for me many a time.

Happy Mother's Day Margaret... the sweetest mom and the best lasagna maker in the world (well, definetly the best in our family kitchen!)


Mother Knows Best Lasagna
1 lb ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons salad oil or olive oil
1 (1 lb) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 cups water
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder (I use real clove garlic, minced)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
4 ounces lasagna noodles
1 lb ricotta cheese
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (I like it cheesey, so I use more)
1 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions
In large heavy pan lightly brown beef and onion in oil. Add tomatoes, paste, water, parsley, salt, sugar, garlic, pepper, and oregano; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally about 30 minutes.Meanwhile cook lasagne as directed; drain.
In 13x9x2" baking pan, spread about 1 cup sauce. Then alternate layers of lasagna, sauce, cottage cheese, mozzarella and parmesean cheese, ending with sauce, mozzarella and parmesean.Bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes until lightly browned and bubbling. Allow to stand for 15 minutes; cut in squares to serve. Makes 8 servings.

No comments: