Friday, May 22, 2009

Sweet Rewards in the Nations Capital...

This week I was in DC for two job interviews (finger, toes and stitches crossed, PLEASE!) so lots of chaos but no chicken... well, none that I have prepared anyway. I did manage to check out some old and new favorite culinary troves in the capital city...


I arrived in town on Tuesday night and met my highschool friend and her husband at a Dupont Circle restaurantnear the hotel called Lauriol Plaza (pictured to the left)where I had a great Margarita and guacamole. The weather was great so we sat outside.



Later, Scott and I wandered around the U Street area and Dupont Circle. We stopped one of our favorite places, KramerBooks and Afterwards Cafe. What a great place! They have a full menu and full bar in addition to their coffee and pastries... and it is ALWAYS packed! On our way back to the hotel we grabbed one more appetizer and glass of wine at a cute neighborhood bistro, Rosemary Thyme where I really wish I would have ordered a lamb dish but instead settled for hummus. I was slightly disappointed.

On Wednesday, I had appointments at 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 with lots of time to explore in between. My first stop was a wonderful bakery and cafe on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown called Patisserie Poupon where I had an AMAZING almond croissant and a perfectly dry cappachino. I really could have everything in their case but self control, my friends, self control. I also was very proud of myself for not stopping in Georgetown Cupcake or Hello Cupcake. (I say proud but they were really all I could think about on the ride home.)
After a little retail research (I was interviewing for a job to promote the Georgetown businesses) I headed back to my hotel and off to my last interview.

I met Scott when I was done for one last culinary DC adventure before hitting the road. This time we picked an old favorite, Brasserie Beck, where they have somewhere close to 500 different beers. We enjoyed a couple of lagers and split a goat cheese and lamb sandwich and frites ( I mean, they are not bad for you if they are not pronounced fries... right?).What an
amazing and caloric end to a very promising, productive and sweet DC visit...

Now, I sit and daydreaming about those cupcakes waiting for the next interview...

See you soon, DC... very soon!

No comments: