Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Aftershocks. . .

So, I decided that leaving your life is like an earthquake.

When you instigate such a change, your whole world and everyone's world around you is disrupted--- practically shaken to the core. Then in a matter of moments, or weeks in my case, the ground stops shaking and things start to find their place. No matter what the decimal the quake we know that minutes, days, weeks or in my case a month later you can have an aftershock.

Today, on M Street in Georgetown I had my first aftershock. It was unexpected , confusing and sent me straight in the arms of the barista at Baked and Wired*. One Raspberry Creme Cheese Brownie and cappuccino later I was feeling a bit back to normal. It is amazing the power of the sugar & caffeine... and later the shopping and wine.

I am not sure how far my shock was felt but if you are still in disarray and no where near the District and my sweet sugar offering, cappachino making friends, I recommend this recipe for amazing brownies... they are not Baked and Wired recipe exact but you are sure to find comfort in this staple.

Raspberry Creme Cheese Brownies
Filling:

1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cream cheese, softened

2 tsp. all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg


Brownies:

Cooking spray

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/8 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 Tblsp water

1 tsp vanilla

1 egg

2 large egg whites

3 Tblsp raspberry preserves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F., coat an 8 inch baking pan with cooking sray.

To prepare the filling, beat the first 5 ingredients at medium speed of a mixer until well blended, set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.

Combine sugar and next 6 ingredients, stirring well with whisk. Add to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spread two-thirds of batter in bottom of prepared pan. Pour filling over batter, spreading evenly. Carefully drop the remaining batter and preserves by spoonfuls over filling; swirl together using the tip of a knife to marble.


*Baked and Wired is my favorite DC coffee shop/bakery. Located on Thomas Jefferson, right down from my part-time gig at Anthropologie, this locally owned place is a gem! The employees always are in the best spirit, service is AMAZING and the baked goods... only a lyrical dance could express my love! As an added bonus, everything is organic... you know I love that. And plus, I am sucker for the guy that puts a heart in my very dry cappuccino. It is the little things that keep this gal coming back for more!

No comments: