Thursday, July 23, 2009

Surprise... It's Quinoa

Yes, it is back. I know, "Hello, old friend."
There was a time that I was making so much quinoa that every morning or night we were having some sort of "Quinoa Surprise"... kind of like I thought I was on the Food Network show where the chefs are given one ingredient to make 9 things... yeah, I am up for that challenge if the ingredient is quinoa. I think I may have even create a quinoa dessert. Poor Scott.

Thanks to an old friend, I am bringing it back for my 1st cooked meal. The thing I love about this grain is that it has more protein than most meats and surprise, you can make it taste like anything you want.

For dinner tonight I gave it a taste of Italy and did as the Italians do --- actually cooked, the grains at least. Baby steps back to the old (but improved) me...

Caprese Quinoa Salad
1 cup quinoa cooked in 2 cups water
1/2 cup shredded basil
3/4 chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup mozzerella, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon baslamic vinager

Serve chilled. It's that easy and very healthy. I chased my down with a lot of water and ibuprophen after a very challenging yoga class... I may be a little (or possibly a lot) sore tomorrow... or right now, it is officially morning.

Perfect for most vegetarians but I will warn you that when cooking for someone new you may want to stay away from this grain---1) sometimes the texture throws off a meat and potatoes type of person and 2) Since it is high protein and fiber it sometimes upsets the digestive track.
Yeah, lesson learned...

No comments: