Monday, July 20, 2009

Living with a double standard...

As my friend I attended brunch at Belga Cafe (near the Eastern Market) we had an interesting discussion.

Why is it perfectly acceptable to have champagne or vodka before noon but not beer? Do we live in a world of alcohol double standard? Is a good Belgium beer any less refined that a Bloody Mary with celery foam? As she looked at the list of over 100 choices she decided no ...

To accompany my refined BM, I had a great savory waffle with roasted tomatoes and goat cheese. I keep dreaming about another... with maybe a bit more goat cheese. If I were making at home I would use the following recipe and serve with an herb salad.

Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Waffles
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup goat cheese
¼ cup chopped, soaked roasted tomatoes

Sift flour and salt together, set aside. Beat eggs, milk, garlic and oil. Add goat cheese and beat until smooth. Combine with flour and cook using waffle iron.

If I wanted, I could get all of these ingredients in the Eastern Market district... with the freshest produce and herbs to the hybrid cheese options and the amazing meat counter--- I may just be in love with this city.

No comments: