Sunday, July 26, 2009

Oh Mercy, Mercy Me. . .

Did you know that a beer can be a double, or triple or I think even quadruple (I could be exaggerating this one)? I may not be cooking but I am learning so much from my DC beer loving friend...

This Friday we were enjoying the roof top deck at Marvin* when I had my first triple Belgium beer. As it was explained to me, when a triple, the brewster starts with three times the ‘normal’ amount of malt in her brew kettle, he starts with more starches, he has more sugars after boiling and will end up with more alcohol after fermentation. All I can tell you is that the flavor was bold, I liked it and I probably should have stopped there!

*As a music lover I also loved Marvin--- located in the U St. District and themed after the late, great and talented Marvin Gaye. A seductive as his tunes, the inside is dimly lit with dark wood and the rooftop patio had the same feel with candles, velvet curtains and painted brick adorned with mirrors. The food is deemed amazing but we had already eaten. A very cool scene... possibly my favorite place (thus far) for a Friday evening out...

No comments: