Friday, March 13, 2009

Say Thanks with Caffeine!

This weekend I am heading to Richmond and will stay at Esra's, one of my best friends or cat sister as I call her. She and her husband are out of town and I want them to know just how much I appreciate my fee-free stay at the Calvert Inn...they really do have a nice home. I am making a basket of E's favorite things including Espresso Brownies. We are both coffee lovers so I thought
these would be appropriate.
This is a new recipe that is in the oven as we speak... the batter tasted great!

Espresso Brownies

Makes 12 or 16 brownies

8 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons butter, cut into 12 pieces
1/3 cup plus 6 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons espresso powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line an 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick foil, then coat with cooking spray.
Put chocolate and butter in a heat bath and stir just until chocolate is smooth;
be careful not to over heat. Set aside to cool slightly.Combine the flour and salt in a bowl and whisk thoroughly. Set aside. In a cup mix 2 tablespoons espresso powder with 3 tablespoons boiling water (I used the hot water from double broiler). Let steep. In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla with an electric
mixer on high speed until thick and light-colored, about 2 minutes. Whisk
in the chocolate. Add espresso mixture and remaining 1 tablespoon espresso. Gently fold in the flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes.

No comments: