Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Quest for the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

My favorite dessert is BY FAR a cookie. Scott calls me a COOKIE MONSTER. I believe my love of the cookie came from the Famous Amos Cookies when I was a wee one... I am sure it dates back further than that and maybe and encounter in my mother's womb. As a child I never had real homemade cookies (sorry Mom). Now don't get me wrong... I do love a cookie from a roll but I want to know exactly what goes in my food these days... even if it is white flour and butter.

It amazes me that something so simple--- flour, sugar, chocolate and eggs can vary so much from recipe to recipe. With more time on my hands I will take on the challenge of finding the BEST CC Cookie recipe... ever. I probably should not admit it, but when I make cookies I can consume 4 to 5 in one sitting. They are my weakness. My quest and this fun culinary adventure starts today with...

Crispy, Chewy Chocolaty, Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from AllRecipes.com

So these are RICH and Dark CHOCOLATY-- more so than Jill's recipe or the other recipe I have on here. So yummy... I make them small since they pack such a punch.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 bag of bittersweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.

3. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.

4. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time (for giant cookies) or a tablespoon at a time (for smaller cookies) onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart. I sprinkle with a little salt before baking!

5. Bake larger cookies for 15 to 17 minutes, or 10 to 12 minutes for smaller ones (check your cookies before they’re done; depending on your scoop size, your baking time will vary) in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments: