Monday, November 23, 2009

A Day A Little Less Expected...

When I left for work at 8:00 a.m. I did not expect to be late. I did not expect to encounter two fires, a re-route and a missed train. I did not expect to stand in line at Starbucks for 10 minutes and I did not expect that they would be out of Christmas Blend. I did not expect for a co-worker to be fired and I did not expect to be blown off by someone that I was hoping to see. After all these barriers I did not expect for a day filled with anything but... but that is what the unexpected is all about, right?




Thanks to the fires and waits and the being stood up I am able to tell the tale of an evening filled with unexpected company, at an unexpected restaurant with unexpected cuisine. As as much as this planner hates to admit this, the best times are spent when all the plans go out the window... or in my case, catch on fire.


The only expected part of my evening was that it was spent on 14th Street, where I spend sometimes 4 out of 7 evenings. One unexpected phone call, a metro ride and a 15 minute walk led me to a spontaneous evening at Masa14, a restaurant new to the bustling 14th Street bar scene. I expected a wait but got a seat. I expected Spanish but got a fusion of Asian-Latin. I expected an overpriced, mediocre menu but saw small plates under $10 with creative ingredients and fresh flavors.



I shared Yukka Fries with a Spicy Lime dipping sauce that made eating fries seem a little more acceptable. I started with a Seaweed Salad that had amazing texture and flavor followed by a Tuna Sashami Flatbread that was adorned with wasabi aioli and arugula. The service phenomenally matched the food and my company was just as flavorful ... something I do not find in DC on an ordinary weeknight--- especially on a day filled with barriers. A day that started out challenging turned into wonderful... something this gal certainly did not expect!

No comments: