Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fishing With the Bait I Had

Last week I was getting my haircut when I asked Dino, my adorable hair dresser, how his life was.  He says, "Stacey, I am living life, trying not to complain... I am just fishing with the bait I have."  As promised that evening, I am plagiarizing him less than seven days later.

Tonight, I fished with the bait I had.  Or more precisely, the pureed roasted pumpkin and ricotta I used in last night's muffins.  

*The important part, my dear friends (if you are even still out there) is that I fished.  And I am here writing about it. And I documented it with my new nifty iPhone camera lens.

So often when we cook we feel like we have to go out and buy all new ingredients to make a great dish (like I did, circa last night, as I spent $33.25 to make baked goods for a morning meeting).  I remembered tonight, as I concocted this tasty dish, that I am most happy in the kitchen and in life when I am working with a blank canvas, merging flavors and textures and finally when enjoying an end product that was created without a plan. 

Tonight as I put the finishing touches on my client's event (something like emailing and begging people to come) I will enjoy a little pasta with my party planning... and admire my catch from the computer.  

Pumpkin Ricotta Pasta with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Kale and Garlic

1/2 cup ricotta
1/2 cup pureed organic pumpkin
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan (mine actually had less because it was the bait I had)
1 cup whole wheat pasta
2/3 cup shredded kale
2 sweet potatoes, roasted (again, I only had one but two would be GREAT)

Cook pasta as recommended.  Cube sweet potato and roast brushed with olive oil and salt.  In a bowl, mix the ricotta, pumpkin, garlic, Parmesan and salt/pepper. 
Add to cook pasta.  Stir in kale and finally, the sweet potatoe.  

This dish is best served in the fall, at a table, with another person. Tonight I am enjoying it just fine, alone at my computer but hey, it's just like Dino says...

No comments: