Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Take on Dena's Cake = YUMMY!

On Mother's Day Dena, my sister-in-law and great baker, made an amazing coconut cake. I loved it probably more than any cake I have ever had (sorry, Mom). Recently, in preparation for a get-together for Sex and the City-- The Movie, I created my own version of this cake. INeedless to say, it was a hit. I am not sure what was better... the movie or the cake. Don't worry Kate, you will get more before your birthday... don't we need to celebrate something this month???



Crazy Coconut Cake
 

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pans
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pans
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites

Filling
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
4 ounces cream cheese, lowfat
1/2 cup flaked, sweetened coconut

Icing
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup sour cream
8 ounces cream cheese, lowfat
1/4 cup flaked, sweetened coconut
1/4 cup toasted coconut

I baked in two cake pans and then split the cakes. Baked at 350 for a little
more time than box said. I then placed filling in between layers (see filling) and then
iced the cake, placing the remaining coconut on the cake. Allow to sit for 24 hours.

No comments: