Friday, February 1, 2008

Finally! Thinking Outside the Box


So, one of my favorite sweet treats are BROWNIES. You know, the kind that are gooey and nutty? I grew up in a house where we made these little pieces of heaven from a box. Now, in my dear mom's defense, there were NO complaints about the end product...


For those that don't know me, early on I gave myself the title of certified creative cook non-baker so there was NO need to learn the gratifying task of thinking outside the box. When we wanted brownies I bought the box. Very simple. A year ago I decided it was time to learn to fend for myself. I know that most baked goods consist of flour, sugar, butter and eggs... all things we have on any given day in our kitchens. I fantisized of being snowed in and whipping up brownies, cookies or whatever on a whim... without having to venture out for the trusty box.
And thus the journey began...


Scott and my mom will tell you that I am a bad baker because I have issues following direction. I do have to agree... but why do things need that much sugar... that much butter. Well, folks, they need it to taste good. I have attempted almost 10 brownie recipes... unsucsessfully.

On Wednesday, (please note- on a whim) I decided to give it one more try. 55 minutes after following the recipe there they were--- Out of the Box, Gooey, Bittersweet Chocolate Pieces of Heaven. All from my kitchen, no box included.


Out of the Box Brownies


4 squares Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup coarsely chopped PLANTERS Pecans
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Grease foil. MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add flour and pecans; mix well. Spread into prepared pan. BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. (Do not overbake.) Cool in pan on wire rack. Remove brownies from pan, using foil handles. Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.


PS- Please follow the directions :)

2 comments:

Holly said...

This is so funny! I too, recently discovered that brownies don't just come in a box. I never thought I could make them from scratch but here I am sharing recipes!
This recipe is for adult brownies! These brownies are potent so be careful not to add too much of a good thing!

White Russian brownies.
Ingredients:
4 tablespoons softened butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Baileys Irish cream
Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour 9x9 baking pan.
Cream sugar and butter then add eggs. MIx well and stir in Baileys. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Spread half mixture into pan.

Cream cheese topping ingredients:
1 package cream cheese softened
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons softened butter
1/4 cup vodka

Stir these ingredients together until smooth. Spread evenly over chocolate layer. Pour remaining chocolate mixture over top of this. You can make patterns and swirl to make prettier.

Bake for 35-45 min.

Cook@Chaos&Chicken said...

YUM!!!! Creme cheese topping!!!! Thanks, Holly! I can not wait to try these.